We are seeking to appoint a Technician to provide support for the Department of Creative Arts and Technologies. This is a large department with a teaching team of seventeen and two technicians. The Department runs courses that cover a number of specialisms, including fine art, craft and print making, photography, textile design and graphic design.
The department has excellent facilities, including art and media studios with processing and dark rooms; a traditional print facility with two etching presses; audio visual equipment; fully operational kiln; risograph; industrial sized light box; and editing suites with appropriate software for delivering graphics/photography and media courses. The department is currently supported by a Media technician and the primary focus of this appointment will be to provide resource based support for students working in the Art and Photography subject areas.
The ideal applicant for this role is someone who enjoys technical tasks and can demonstrate energy, passion and enthusiasm working in a fast-paced environment. The role requires a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, a good and appropriate sense of humour and the ability to work flexibly. The suitable applicant will be someone who understands the ethos of the College and has a strong sense of resilience to work with both staff and students in a large and varied department.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- well organised and methodical working practices e.g. to organise and coordinate the art storage cupboards.
- a professional and technically supportive approach to students.
- flexibility, patience and resourcefulness.
- basic DIY skills and a willingness to undertake first line mechanical servicing e.g. etching presses and sewing machines (where possible training will be provided).
- a willingness to participate in the lifting of heavy loads (such as stocks of paper) and the use of ladders, e.g. for hanging work in display areas (with training).
- the technical ability to guide and advise students in the creative use of all departmental equipment/software (where possible training will be provided).
- strong communication skills and an enjoyment of team work.
- an ability to take responsibility, show initiative and solve problems with minimum supervision.
Closing date:- Wednesday 12 August 2020
This role attracts a number of benefits such as, use of the Sports Centre facilities, free parking on site, complimentary beverages, discounted Central Studio tickets, related training and development, and a generous annual leave, sickness and maternity package.
Post Title: Creative Arts and Technologies Technician.
Reporting to: Head of Creative Arts and Technologies (CATs).
Salary: New Scale point 3 of the Sixth Form Colleges Support Staff Scales,
currently £9.24 per hour, currently working 35 hrs per week Term Time.
Hours of duty: 35 hours per week, Term Time
Holiday entitlement: Holidays taken outside of term-time.
Other Terms of Employment: Permanent contract starting 1st September 2020
The successful candidate will have the choice whether or not to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. The College currently contributes a monthly sum equivalent to 13.1% of your salary, whilst staff at this salary level contribute 5.3%
Staff are entitled to the benefits of the nationally agreed sickness and maternity leave schemes. The College is committed to Safeguarding, Prevent, Equalities Diversity and Inclusion and Sustainability. The College operates a “no smoking” policy.
Queen Mary's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.